Filed under News

Grandparent Breakfast is a success

An elementary student enjoys breakfast with her grandmother.

Photo by Photo submitted.

Photo by Photo submitted.

On September 9, 2018, over 300 grandparents and their elementary student grandchildren gathered at Berea Community School for the annual Grandparent Breakfast.

On Monday morning, Berea Elementary students and their grandparents rose before their usual time for a special breakfast in celebration of the grandparents. The Grandparent Breakfast has been going on for the past 20 years. This event initially started because many grandparents of the elementary students are very involved in their grandchildren’s life. This event intends to welcome grandparents to the school’s community and create an opportunity for them to be involved in the students’ education and school experience.

Diane Smith, the BCS Family Resource Center coordinator, helped put on the event and spoke to its impact. “This event benefits the students emotionally and academically,” she said. “Studies show that students with involved guardians are more likely to succeed in school.” The positive effect it has on the students emotionally was clear immediately, as Smith noted a special moment at the event: “A little girl told her grandmother she was so happy she could come and her grandmother gave her a hug and replied, ‘That is what I’m here for hunny. I love you.’”

Moments like these reflect how important this event is to all participants in the school communitystudents, grandparents and administrators alike. This year’s groundbreaking turnout promises many more Grandparent Breakfasts that will have a positive impact for years to come.