Filed under Sports

Volleyball is victorious

On Thursday, August 23 the Berea Community High School Volleyball team won against Burgin Independent with the score of 3-0.

The game was filled with strong plays completed by the Lady Pirates as they ended their match with 20 aces (A serve which lands in the opponent’s court without being touched, or is touched, but unable to be kept in play by one or more receiving team players) and 11 kills (successful, legal, point-scoring play).

The man who taught the Lady Pirates what they know is Coach Jarred Penn. Penn has worked with the majority of his players since they were in middle school. He is very proud of how his players have been able to take instruction well and fix the critiques that were given to them in past seasons. “We played hard and didn’t give up,” explained Penn. “We got down a couple times but fought back to pull out our win.” Penn also explained how he noticed certain aspects of the game, such as passing off the ball, that he plans to work on more with the team throughout the rest of the season.

Berea Community students, staff, parents and community members are proud of the BCHS Volleyball team and are excited to watch their growth throughout the rest of the season. If you would like to support the BCHS Volleyball team, come out on Friday, August 31 at 5:30 PM to see them play Danville Christian in the new gymnasium at Berea Community.