Filed under News

Grants create student opportunity

While students were enjoying their much deserved summer break, select members of faculty and staff spent their summer working hard to ensure that students would return for the 2018-2019 school year with even more opportunities to learn: Berea Community Schools received multiple grants to be implemented in the upcoming school year.

Berea Community was honored to be chosen as a recipient of the federal Striving Readers Comprehensive Literacy (SRCL) Grant, gifted by the Kentucky Department of Education. Angela Baker, director of Pupil Personnel for the school district, was at the forefront of helping Berea receive this grant. She submitted the required information for the competitive grant and shared why the Berea Community School system was such a strong candidate. In addition to other qualifications, the school district expressed, “A need for improving literacy is displayed in the school and community…”

The grant, which is designed to serve children from birth through high school, will be implemented throughout the elementary, middle, and high school by improving literacy through teacher and administrative training. The main purpose behind the SRCL Grant is to “support schools and other centers of learning in improving the reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills as well as academic achievement of all learners.” The resources this grant provides will also be shared with the Madison County Public Library, Grow Appalachia, the Madison County Health Department, and other organizations throughout the community. An example of how this grant will be implemented in the schools was explained by middle school Language Arts teacher Larinda Agee, who is also assisting with the grant: the middle and high school will use an approach referred to as the “Literacy Design Collaborative”. This collaborative will integrate “reading and writing into all content areas instead of just in English classes.”

The middle and high school science departments received the opportunity to participate in the National Center for Earth and Space Science Education (NCESSE) and the Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Space Education’s 15th flight opportunity of the Student Spaceflight Experiments Program (SSEP).

According to the school’s Facebook page, “Launched in June 2010, SSEP was designed as a model U.S. National STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) education program that immerses typically 300 students across a community in every facet of authentic scientific research of their own design, using a highly captivating spaceflight opportunity on the International Space Station (ISS). SSEP Mission 13 to ISS will provide each participating community a real research mini-laboratory capable of supporting a single microgravity experiment, and all launch services to fly the mini-lab to ISS in Spring 2019, and return it safely to Earth for harvesting and analysis. Mirroring how professional research is done, student teams across the community submit research proposals, and go through a formal proposal review process to select the flight experiment.”

Under the leadership of high school science teacher Joshua Woodward, the Berea Community Middle and High school science departments will partner with Berea College Science and Education departments to allow all students grades 7 through 12 to participate in this once in a lifetime program and competition.

The whole Pirate Family is very excited about the new programs and opportunities being implemented in our school, and looks forward to a great year.