Filed under Sports

Pirates fall to Cardinals

On Thursday, August 23, the Berea Community High School girls soccer team lost to South Laurel High School with the score of 0-1.

The game started off strongly as the Lady Pirates constantly controlled the ball. With many saves from sophomore goalkeeper Emily Maynard and great communication while playing, the Lady Pirates showed their knowledge and strength on the field. After the first half of the game was complete, neither team had scored. After a long, hard battle, South Laurel scored towards the end of the game, ending it with the score of 0-1.

Despite the loss, the Lady Pirates are proud of their performance that night. According to junior Madi Cummins, “[We] battled so hard in the game against South Laurel. I am so proud of the amount of heart that we as a team showed in that game. The score could’ve been easily been worse but we never gave up and battled until the final whistle.” Cummins went on to described the strength the forward and midfielder positions have this year and how well they work together: “We connect passes quickly and efficiently and our communication is better than ever.”  

The future looks bright for the BCHS Lady Pirates soccer team as they continue to grow in strength with each game. “We need to realize how strong we are as a team,” Cummins explained as she discussed the things the team needs to work on. “We all know that we lost six seniors that were crucial to our team this past season and we need to work on understanding our potential. Despite the ‘big shoes’ we are trying to fill, we have so much more talent in this relatively young team than we realize.”

If you would like to support your local BCHS girls soccer team, come on out on Thursday, September 6 at 6:00 PM when they play Madison Southern High School.