Filed under Sports

Football season starts off with a promising start

On Friday, August 17, the Berea Community Pirates football team fell short to the Jackson County Generals at the newly opened Duerson Stadium.

The night began with a color run, organized by the student pep club. Students gathered together to participate in the run that resulted in a colorful display of school spirit. Following the color run came a tailgating party, also organized by the pep club, where several students grilled hot dogs and hamburgers. Students were excited to take part in this new tailgating tradition with the re-dedication of Duerson Stadium.

The game got underway as the Pirate football team ran onto the field. The beginning of the game wasn’t looking good for the Pirate team, with Jackson County scoring the first touchdown. However, things began looking better for the Pirates, when their first touchdown was scored by freshman Jaiden Cunningham. This excited the Pirate fans, who hadn’t seen a touchdown at their home field in years.

After halftime, a second touchdown was made by junior quarterback Cody Moore. “[It felt] great to help the team and put points on the board,” Moore stated. “[We’re here] to get some wins and show everybody [that] we’re not a joke; we’re here to win [and] we’re here to compete.”

At the end of the game, the Pirates fell short to the Generals with a final score of 12-40. Senior captain Zane Brown explained that the team’s greatest weakness is their inexperience: “We have a lot of newcomers that haven’t played football in their lives.”

Despite the loss, Brown stated, “I expect us to grow as a team and I believe that we will be the foundation of a very good program going forward.” Although the night did not result in a win, it was an exciting time for Berea Community students, as they experienced their first home game in years.

If you’d like to support the Berea Pirates, come out on August 31 at 7:30 PM to watch as they take on Green County.