New Digital Learning Center Founded in Former Computer Lab

Over the summer, Berea Community developed a new digital learning center for both teachers and students. With never before seen features in the former computer lab such as virtual reality and state of the art digital cameras, there is certainly promise for more learning opportunities.

The center is expected to come with a smorgasbord of technology. MacIntosh computers, virtual reality (VR) headsets, and digital cameras are available for students to use. There’s even a plan for two large wireless smart boards for teachers to present with. The staff member overseeing the center, Lynn McCollum, had plenty to say about the capabilities of the center. “Teachers can download whatever activities they want in VR for their students… we also have digital cameras for filming and Macs for editing,” she said.

Students can make movies on camera and complete them on a Mac computer, or build lego robotics with circuit kits. Students can also use chromebooks for any other online activities needed. There are plans for an after school group to instruct students on the new devices open for use, which is expected to start in early September. “We’re trying to transition our students into a more paperless and more mobile workplace. They really need that training before they leave these walls,” said McCollum.

McCollum has high hopes for the use of the center. “The possibilities, I think, will be endless,” she said. “I think it’s gonna keep growing as technology grows so quickly; we have to change with it and bring those students in.” The digital learning center is open for both students and teachers to use before, during, and after school.