FBLA Proves Successful at Regional Competition

More stories from Gabriel Abaunza

On Friday, March 9, Berea Community High School’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) competed at their annual regional competition at Eastern Kentucky University.  

Of those that competed there were many students who placed in their specific contests. Eric Luppens and Taylor Baugh placed first in Local Chapter Scrapbook; Ismaila Ceesay placed first in Computer Problem Solving; Tori Williams placed second in Health Care Administration; Coleman Reed placed first in Intro to Financial Math; Alaina Milam placed second in Organizational Leadership; Hayleigh Burrows, Alyssa Carter, and Abby Ambrose placed second in Broadcast Journalism; Adrienne Beggs and Mikaela Morgan placed third in Business Ethics; Emy Lovell and Elias Bolton placed third in Graphic Design; Caleb Rader placed first in Sales Presentation; and Constance Wright, Alex Mondine, and Ryan Whitt placed third in Talent Show – Most Talented. During the competition, junior Emy Lovell received special recognition as Region 6 Parliamentarian for 2017-2018.

Even though some students did not meet the requirements to compete at the upcoming state FBLA competition, it is clear that they still had a lot of fun at regionals. Senior Alex Mondine, who competed in Talent Show – Most Talented, stated, “I’m happy with how our performance went, and while I am sad that we didn’t get first place, I had a lot of fun being apart of FBLA during high school and I highly encourage people to join the club and give it a shot.”

Students who did meet the requirements, however, are eligible to move onwards to state competition. State competition will be held on April 14-16 in Louisville at the Galt House. Eric Swords, sponsor of Berea Community’s FBLA chapter, plans to have many meetings for the club up until state competition so students have the opportunity to work on their projects and presentations in order to be successful at state. Swords stated, “I am extremely happy with how many students we had place at regionals compared to last; actually, we received an award this year at regionals for highest growth in membership.” Swords believes that with enough preparation, many students will be able to achieve great things by the time state competition comes around.