Key Club Hosts Student-Led Tutoring

More stories from Elliot Sandberg

An after-school tutoring program was started in March by the Key Club at Berea Community High School in response to the school-sponsored tutoring program being cut due to a lack of funds.

The after school program meets with students every Tuesday and Wednesday with tutors available for math, science, English, and social studies. The need for a new tutoring program arose after state budget cuts forced the school to cut the school-sponsored tutoring program. A sign-up sheet was posted outside Mrs. Lovell’s office for volunteers to help with the new program, and was quickly filled up by students from all grade levels looking to help their fellow students and give back to their school community.

Senior Crystal Williams is one of the students who donated her time to the tutoring program. Williams, who also works with the school AmeriCore program, decided to help with the tutoring efforts in order to help others who may not get the help from anywhere else. “I think it’s a good opportunity to help people in the school,” said Williams.

The response from the students looking to help with the program has been incredible. The tutoring is offered Tuesdays and Wednesdays after school from 3:30 to 4:15 and is available to both middle and high school students. Through this program, the Berea Community students are able to show their pride in their school.