BCS Hosts Blood Drive

More stories from Trine Aagaard

On Tuesday, March 15, the Kentucky Blood Center’s Bloodmobile stopped by Berea Community High School in order to give students and teachers the opportunity to donate their blood for a good cause.

Berea Community High School has been hosting the blood drive for more than 20 years. According to counselor Eef Fontanez, the Bloodmobile will be back in the fall to accept donations from those who are interested in donating. Donating blood has many benefits for patients who are in need of blood, as explained by Mike Miller, a phlebotomist from the Kentucky Blood Center: “It is important to donate blood because blood is a life-giving product and there are many people in the hospitals that need blood, so being able to donate blood helps them out, as well as it helps you out because you feel better about donating blood.” He went on to explain that “donating blood allows your body to make more red cells which gets them working.” According to Miller, “If you donate a whole unit of blood you save three lives.”

The Kentucky Blood Center’s motto is “It’s About Life.” Junior Josh Graggs agreed that donating blood is an easy way to save a life, which influenced his decision to give blood. Tuesday was Josh’s fourth time donating blood, and he wouldn’t mind doing it again: “I like the thought of helping someone out with something that my body will replenish quickly again,” he said. Berea Community High School had 20 volunteers donate blood which made for a total donation of 20 pints of blood this time around. This single donation will save 60 lives! For those who may be interested in donating blood, the Kentucky Blood Center is always accepting donations; information can be found through the following link: www.kybloodcenter.org.