Berea Community spring sports preview

By Elliot Sandberg and Gabe Abaunza

The spring sport season has begun, and at Berea Community the teams are hard at work practicing daily in preparation for the season. During the spring season, the baseball, softball, track, and tennis teams all are competing.

The Berea Tennis Team retained several experienced players from last year after a successful season, including regional winner David Gadd. However, the team has had to replace a strong graduating class from last year. Junior Maria Murphy will be looked to to step into a bigger role for the team. “I’m one of the older players now, so I kind of have to be better,” said Murphy. The team has seen many newcomers join, including transfer students Trine Aagaard and Lily Droste. The team also has a new coach this year, Plinio Tuta. The tennis team begins their season on March 8.

The Pirate Baseball Team will look to build on a promising ending to last season. After nearly defeating Model in the district tournament, the Pirates will be returning 7 starters and gaining several new players as well. Senior Ben Maynard and junior Ben West will be looked to to take on a heavier leadership role this year for the team. “This year, our goal is to be above .500 and to play better as a team,” said West. With a mix of experienced players and those looking to get a starting position on the team, the lineups for the season will be varied, with 5 different pitchers rotating throughout the year. The Pirates begin their season on March 19.

The Berea Pirate Softball Team is looking to come back this upcoming season with their first scrimmage against Lincoln County on March 12. Senior Shyann Brock who plays right field stated, “I am looking forward to see how we grow as a team, and I hope this season we are able to make it to, and win, All A Regionals.” Shyann Brock will also look to step into a bigger role this year; last year she was unable to be around the team as much due to health related issues, but this season she’s hoping to step back up and provide encouragement and support for the younger players.

The Berea Pirate Track Team is also looking to come back this spring with their first meet later this month. Senior Taiza Alexander stated, “I’m looking forward to improving my times and jumps this season. I’m hoping to be able to win both regionals and state this year as I’ve been continuing to train daily during the offseason.” Taiza is expected to take on a major leadership role this year as she is currently the only senior on the team; she plans to help guide and teach the other younger members on the team.

The Berea Community fans are looking forward to an exciting spring season for the sport teams. Be sure to stay in tune and come out to support our teams!