Basketball Overview

This year, the Berea Community High School boys varsity basketball team ended with its first winning season in seven years. The Pirates knew it was going to be a great season when they ended their first game with a 30 point win against Dayton High School. They went on to have a phenomenal season with 14 wins and 12 losses. “I think we got a lot better because we went from only 12 wins [last season] to 14 wins; we went to a winning season and played a lot of tougher teams,” said junior forward Zane Brown. “[My goals for the next season are] to have another winning season on top of at least 18 wins.” The Pirates certainly have ended their season on a good note, and they are ready to head into their next season.

In addition, the BCHS girls varsity basketball team ended its season with a record of 10-21. This is an improvement from their last season in which the Lady Pirates won 9 games.The Lady Pirates have a fairly young team compared to previous seasons and even other teams in the state, with their starting lineup consisting of one junior and four eighth graders.

The junior, Adrienne Beggs, is also the oldest member of the team since the ladies have no seniors this year. “It’s kind of hard [being the oldest] but it’s also kinda nice,” said Beggs. “I think it helped me step up. It can also be difficult when you’re the only one on the team who can drive. It’s hard when there’s nobody else your age either, but I’m glad to be able to lead the team.” Next season, the girls would like to win more games than this season and build up their program. The Ladies Pirates are excited to jump into their 2018-19 season.

Both of the basketball teams also sent members to the 44th District All Tournament Teams. Congratulations to juniors Adrienne Beggs, Zane Brown, and Triston Duckworth, as well as freshman Melisa Gosney.