• Mar 22, 8:47 amBCHS Prom will be on April 28!

• Mar 22, 8:44 amBerea Community Schools spring break is April 1-8!

• Mar 22, 8:40 amCome see the BCHS production of "Steel Magnolias" on March 29-31!

BCES Literary Week

More stories from Coleman Reed

Students line up for the book exchange at Literacy Night. Photo submitted.

Literacy Week took place February 26 through March 2 at Berea Community Elementary School. Students participated in many activities promoting literacy, from dressing up as their favorite book characters to listening to high schoolers read to them.

This year’s Literacy Week was centered around Wishbone, a dog in a chapter book that the fifth grade is reading. On Monday of Literacy Week, the elementary schoolers could bring their favorite stuffed animal to read a book to. On Tuesday, students wore their favorite hats to school for ‘Hats Off to Reading!’ Wednesday was ‘Walk Your Dog Day,’ and students wore athletic clothes and shoes to do extra physical activity during the day. On Thursday, students dressed as their favorite book character, with Literacy Night later that evening. Finally, Friday was Pirate Pride day, and students wore Berea Pirate themed clothes to show their school spirit.

Everything culminated on March 1, Literacy Night. Elementary students showed off all their various crafts and such that they prepared, and families were allowed to shop at the book fair. There was also a book exchange stand, where students could leave a book to take a book. Students also had the opportunity to make crafts and sign up for the “20 For 20” reading challenge the challenge is to read twenty minutes a day, for twenty days. All students who complete the activity will be given a reward day on March 30, to celebrate their success.

Literacy Week is always a fun time of year, given all the activities available to students. As Jake Mills, a fourth grader, said: “My favorite part of Literacy Week was creating our favorite book covers in Mrs. May’s class.” Teachers always prepare interesting things for students to work on, and promote literacy in a large variety of ways. This Literacy Week was fun, unique, and a good time for everyone involved.