Sweetheart Dance court announced

More stories from Trine Aagaard

BCS Hosts Blood Drive
April 24, 2018
The Sweetheart Court. Back row from L to R: Tyler Smyth, Chesney Lovins, Lauren Stepp, and Mickey Smyth. Front row: Luke Seals (L) and Raegan Stepp. Photo submitted.

On Friday, February 9, the Berea Community Middle School had its 2018 Sweetheart Dance that included a court with a Sweetheart King and Queen. The candidates were picked by teachers and voted on by students. It was an exciting night for the students who attended the dance because this annual dance serves as the middle school equivalent of the high school’s Homecoming Dance. Because of its proximity to Valentine’s Day, the semi-formal event typically has a Valentine’s theme that sets it apart from other dances.

The sweetheart candidates included: 6th graders Sophie Brewer, Kennedy Curtis, Isabel Hodson, Lauren Stepp, Caleb Campbell, Landon Justice, Mickey Smyth and Brayden Thacker; 7th graders Sadie Hall, Chesney Lovins, Carma Rodgers, Carlee Skeese, Henry Berry, Cannon Cummins, Carlton Sears and Tyler Smyth; and 8th graders Peyton Azbill, Lydia Peach, Raegan Stepp, Jillian Whitt, Kobe Combs, Quenten Morgan, Luke Seals and John Wallhausser.

The atmosphere was great as the crowning of the candidates took place at the dance. The Sweetheart King and Queen were awarded to Luke Seals and Raegan Stepp; Chesney Lovins and Tyler Smyth won Prince and Princess, and Lauren Stepp and Mickey Smyth won Duke and Duchess. Sweetheart King Luke Seals was very happy about the dance. “I helped with the decoration, and the music at the dance was good. I was surprised when my name was called; I didn’t expect to win,” he said. Queen Raegan Stepp said that “It was really exciting when they said my name, but I was kinda nervous at the same time.” Congratulations to the winners and to all of those nominated!