Swim Regionals

8th+grader%2C+Katie+Morgan%2C+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Swim Regionals

8th grader, Katie Morgan,

8th grader, Katie Morgan,

Photo by Photo Submitted

8th grader, Katie Morgan,

Photo by Photo Submitted

Photo by Photo Submitted

8th grader, Katie Morgan,

By Coleman Reed, Reporter

On February 9, the BCHS Swim Team competed in the 9th Region Championships, located at Stivers Aquatic and Wellness Center in Barbourville. Rivals Madison Southern and Model attended, along with numerous other schools from southeastern Kentucky. It was the swim team’s last meet of the year.

Regional competition also acts as qualifiers for state. First, a preliminary round is held, where the top sixteen from that round advance to finals. In the finals, the top eight advance to state competition, which takes place February 22-24 at the University of Louisville. The students who participated include seniors Michelle Mecham, Mikaela Morgan, Moira Wideman, and Hudson Campbell; sophomore Cash Anglin; freshmen Ismaila Ceesay and John-Paul Wideman; eighth graders Sadibou Ceesay, Ella Campbell, and Katie Morgan; and seventh grader Alex Salle.

The swim team had an outstanding performance, with multiple people making finals and one school record being broken. Eighth grader Katie Morgan broke the school record for the Girls 100-Yard Freestyle, with a time of 1:05.45. As she explained, “I’ve been working at it [the record] for a while now and I’m really happy I finally accomplished it. I knew I could potentially break it…I just had to push myself.”

Other events at the meet included the 50-Yard Freestyle, which senior Hudson Campbell placed fifteenth in; the 100-Yard Butterfly, which senior Mikaela Morgan placed fourteenth in; and the 100-Yard Breaststroke, which freshman John-Paul Wideman placed sixteenth in. The Girls’ 200-Yard Medley Relay and 200-Yard Freestyle Relay placed eleventh and ninth, respectively.

Although no one made it to state competition, it was an amazing season for the team, with everyone improving, which makes for a bright future of the BCHS swim program.