• Mar 22, 8:47 amBCHS Prom will be on April 28!

• Mar 22, 8:44 amBerea Community Schools spring break is April 1-8!

• Mar 22, 8:40 amCome see the BCHS production of "Steel Magnolias" on March 29-31!

Pirates come up short at Homecoming doubleheader

More stories from Constance Wright

More stories from Trine Aagaard

BCS Hosts Blood Drive
April 24, 2018
Eighth grader Mati Stepp dribbles the ball down the court.

Photo by Constance Wright

Photo by Constance Wright

On Thursday, January 23, the Berea Community High School Pirates and Lady Pirates competed against Jackson County in a double header for the annual spring homecoming game. The night resulted in two losses, with the scores 53-54 for the girls and 48-55 for the boys.

The night started off uneasy, with the Lady Pirates falling quickly behind against Jackson County. But after a strong pep talk from Coach Stepp, the girls quickly picked up their game. Many three pointers later, they finished the first half winning with the score 28-22.

“I think everyone did really well,” explained junior center Adrienne Beggs. “I know we’re extremely young, but based on that we’re so much better than so many other teams…people don’t realize our talent.”

Throughout the entire game the two teams were neck and neck, fighting for the win. Although the Lady Pirates held the lead for the majority of the game, Jackson County gained a one point lead at the end of the fourth quarter resulting in a loss for Berea. “[Losing by] one point hurts… especially since it’s so close that you don’t know who’s truly more talented,” Beggs commented.

The Pirate crowd continued to show their support in the following boy’s game. After the girl’s game, spirits were high among the growing crowd as the Pirates gained a quick lead against Jackson County within the first half of the game. “We knew that they were going to be really good going; we knew we were going to have to play hard the entire game,” said senior center Nathan Crutcher. Like in the Lady Pirates’ game, the points teetered between the two teams, with the final score of 48-55, Berea’s second loss of the night.

The overall pep and school spirit provided a memorable night for Berea Community students and Berea Pirate basketball players. If you would like to support the Berea High School basketball teams, join the Lady Pirates on February 10 at 7:30 and the Pirates on February 16 at 7:30 at their next home games.