Swim Tri-Meet & Senior Night

More stories from Emy Lovell

On Friday, January 19, the Berea Community Swim Team competed in a tri-meet against Madison Southern and Rockcastle County at the Berea College Seabury Center, the home pool to each of these schools. At the meet on Friday the team competed in five individual races, and two relays. Having only one home meet during the season, seniors from all three schools were recognized before the meet began. The seniors from Berea Community were Mikaela Morgan, Hudson Campbell, Michelle Mecham, and Moira Wideman. These Pirates have all been swimming on the team for at least three years.

Swim Team coach Chuck Morgan introduced each senior and spoke of their best qualities as swimmers and as teammates. While reminiscing about this year’s seniors, coach Morgan stated, “This group of seniors obviously is a special group given that my daughter is one of them. I have been watching them swim, play soccer, [perform in] band concerts since they were in 5th grade. They are a good group of kids.”

The Berea Community Swim Team is small in comparison to other schools which causes the team to have limited participation in events. In the past few years, the team has not seen any new records, but according to coach Morgan, “we have a couple of swimmers who have missed records by less than 0.20 seconds.” The swimmers are always pushing themselves to beat their competition times, and they hope to improve individually, but the team is a still a connected unit. To add to this, Senior Hudson Campbell noted, “[Having a small team] means everyone has to pull their weight and then some. And if someone doesn’t perform the whole team feels it. If we want to walk away with a trophy then everyone has to do well.”

Berea Community wishes their swimmers a great rest of their season and hopes for records to be broken. The Berea swim team will compete next at Regionals on February 9.