Spotlight on student achievements

By Mikaela Morgan and Kamryn Goodrich

In the past month, Berea Community School has had many individual students and clubs participate in competitions and receive numerous awards. The Pirate faculty, staff, and students are very proud of the student accomplishments.

Two Berea Pirates athletes have been selected to join All-Districts Sports teams. Alyssa Carter was selected to join the All-District volleyball team due to her stellar performance this season, and Matthew Crutcher was selected to join the All-District football team because of his accomplishments on the field this fall. All-District Team members are selected based off of stats from previous seasons.

The Berea Community Elementary and Middle School choirs will be well represented in this year’s Kentucky All-State Chorus ensembles. Sixth grader Sophie Brewer was selected to join the Kentucky All State Children’s Chorus in the spring, and fifth graders Sienna Johnson, Chloe Gibson, and Vanessa Richardson will be representing BCES at the Kentucky Music Educators Association’s conference in February.

Junior Berea Community High School Band percussionist Ryan Whitt recently auditioned for and obtained a spot in the All-Regional Band, and received a first chair seating. This means that Ryan is considered to be the top percussionist in our region. Even though Ryan’s primary percussion instrument is the snare drum, he, and the other percussionists auditioning, were required to audition with multiple percussion instruments: the keyboard, crash cymbals, and triangle, in addition to sight reading with the snare drum and tambourine. All of the percussionists were placed into respective chairs, and the entire ensemble will be rehearsing January 11-13 to prepare for their concert at Madison Central High School on January 13. Ryan is very excited for this opportunity.

This year, Berea Community Elementary School introduced a new club to their fifth grade students. The BCES Lego Robotics team competed on December 2 in Lexington at the University of Kentucky, and placed third in the competition. The team will be attending another competition in March at Farristown Middle School. The team is led by BCES teachers Robin Burr and Debra Morgan, and team members include Chloe Gibson, Wiley Reed, Elen White, Tess Mclynn, Lesley Morgan, and Sienna Johnson.

The Berea Community Student Technology Leadership Program (STLP) recently attended regional competition in November in Somerset, and several students will be advancing to State competition. The state competition will be at Rupp Arena on March 28. These students include James Alexander, Abby Ambrose, Thomas Brock, Hayleigh Burrows, Baylor Hill, Kylie Randall, Coleman Reed, Kaitlin Sexton, Aubrey Smith, and Kierstin Shaffer, who competed as the WBCB News Team; Ismailia Ceesay who competed in 3-D Printing; and Coleman Reed who competed in Google Classroom.

Both the Berea Community High School and Middle School academic teams are off to a great start to their seasons. In the Class Act Invitational in Louisville Kentucky, the BCHS team won three of their matches, and two students individually placed very well in the competition. MacGregor Lakes placed 20th overall, and Coleman Reed placed 32nd overall. The BCMS academic team took their sixth grade team members to the annual Sixth Grade Showcase. The team placed fourth overall in the quick recall competition, and several students were able to place in the written assessment portion of the competition: Parker Price placed second in Language Arts, Nevin Myers placed fourth in Science, and Quinn Rucker placed fourth in Math. The BCHS team will have its next competition on January 27 at Madison Southern High School.

Berea Community School is full of bright and talented students. The faculty, staff, and peers of these students are very proud of their accomplishments this month, and fully support them in their future endeavors.