Berea boys basketball defeats Pineville High School

By Gabriel Abaunza, Pirate Staff Reporter

On December 11, the BCHS boys basketball team shot their way to victory against Pineville High School with the final score of 70-63. The boys had looked to bounce back from an unfortunate loss at home against Calvary Christian on December 8 and were able to achieve that with spectacular calls and plays from Head Coach Eric Swords.

Outstanding players from the Pineville game include Ben West with 8 Points, Whaylen Connor with 9 points, Tylen Hall with 13 points, Triston Duckworth with 16 points, and David Gadd, who lead the team with a whopping total of 19 points. It was with these players and their contributions on court that the BCHS basketball team was able to defeat Pineville.

When it comes to Berea Community High School boys basketball, the team is more than just a team; they feel like family to one another. According to Nathan Crutcher, “I love this team, and I’m really proud of how my fellow teammates played that night, but we could definitely use a bit more improvement in a lot of aspects—especially myself, I played hard that game, but after looking back there were definitely things I could’ve done to help out more on the court.”

Coach Swords stated, “I am proud of how the team battled although we weren’t playing our best in the first half. We made winning plays down the stretch that allowed us to get the win. We are currently 7-2 and I’m extremely proud of how hard we play.” In comparison to last year’s team, he said, “Our team this year has a lot more experience. We have been in the system for a year and understand what we need to do. There’s a lot more balance on the team this year as we have multiple guys who are able to score”.

While the boys basketball team may be 7-2 this year, so far there is still room for improvement as Coach swords explained: “We definitely need to improve on our free throw shooting if we want to try to accomplish our major goal which is making it to the regional tournament.” Coach Swords also encouraged anyone that wants to show their Pirate Pride to come out to the next boys basketball home game on January 9, where the boys will be taking on Burgin County.