Berea lady Pirates Take on Barbourville Tigers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Two weeks ago, on Dec. 2, the Berea Lady Pirates’ basketball team took on the Barbourville Lady Tigers. This game was the Lady Pirates season opener and they started off with a bang. The Lady Pirates held a comfortable lead for the entire game and ended up defeating the Lady Tigers 62-48. This was a similar result to the result that they had last season against the Barbourville Lady Tigers; last year, the Lady Pirates won 64-38. Considering that they lost two of their best players, senior Adrienne Beggs and sophomore Matilyn Stepp, to graduation and a preseason injury, Berea still got a good result from the young players that have had to step up this season.

To get a sense of how young Berea’s roster is, their starting five are sophomore point guard Isis Rodgers, sophomore shooting guard Alexis Newman, freshman small forward Chesney Lovins, sophomore power forward Madison Howell and sophomore center Mackenzie Howell. In other words, Berea’s starters are composed completely of underclassmen. Some of Berea’s biggest scorers off of the bench are also underclassmen, the most consistent being freshmen Maddy King and Abby Beard as well as eighth-grader Sophie Brewer. Seeing as the entirety of Berea’s prominent players are here to stay for a couple of seasons, you can expect to hear great things coming from the Berea Lady Pirates, they have a bright future ahead of them.