Berea Community Schools Give Back to the Community

Pirates PK-12 donate food to the Holiday Food Drive to better those in their schools and their community.

During the month of November, the entire Berea Independent School District participated in a food drive sponsored by Berea Community High School’s Student Council. Students and teachers were asked to bring in non-perishable food items to their first period and/or homeroom teacher, to be collected and tallied for the drive. Both the elementary and middle/high schools were aware that the winning class would receive an award to ensure not only a successful food drive but to give a token of appreciation for their generosity, as well. 

The food drive lasted nearly a month, and it was nothing short of a success. Mr. Asher’s first period high school class brought in over 300 canned items, thus donating the most throughout both the middle and high schools. The elementary was just as successful, with Mrs. Karen’s preschool class bringing in an astonishing amount of items to add to the food drive. Nearly all of the items collected during this food drive were dispersed throughout the district and placed in Thanksgiving baskets to certain Pirate families, and the remaining items were donated to Mr. Eric Swords’ Holiday Classic basketball tournament, which will then be donated to the local food bank. 

Student Council President, Thomas Brock has been active with this event and many others throughout his time as a high school student at Berea, and emphasized that “it is always good to give back [to the community].” Brock mentioned that the Student Council is taking donations for Helping Hands, which will provide Christmas presents to two children, both a boy and a girl. The Helping Hand flyer, which includes the age and wish list of these children, can be located in Mr. Fontanez’s office, and the donations are due before Christmas break begins on December 20, 2019. BCS feels very fortunate to be able to lend a helping hand to the community and look forward to participating in other events like this throughout the school year.