Berea Community Christmas Concert

On Oct. 10, the Berea Community bands and choirs performed a Christmas concert. The choir concert started at six PM in the Kennedy Theater. Sixth up to twelfth grades performed in the concert, conducted by Amanda Barnhill. The band concert started at seven PM and was conducted by Matthew Barnhill. The performers ranged from sixth grade all the way up to twelfth grade, for a total of 126 performers, including six seniors. Senior Brent Robinson has been a part of the band for seven years and plays the alto saxophone. Robinson said “Mr. Barnhill is an excellent band director who perfectly knows how to communicate with students. He always has the solution to any complication or obstacle we might run into as a group. We can always count on him to get the band playing up to our fullest potential.”

The choir is also doing well. Junior Andrea Ramos in the high school choir said, “Mrs. Barnhill is outgoing, she doesn’t get embarrassed a lot which is good for students that don’t have a lot of confidence.”  Some of Mr. and Mrs. Barnhill’s students do both band and choir. Luckily, the two teachers are able to communicate a lot more in comparison to other teachers. Mr. Barnhill attended Boone County High School. He received his bachelor’s of Music Education at EKU and Master’s Degree in Music Performance.  Mrs. Barnhill attended Eastern Kentucky University for her degrees and Berea Community High School. 

The band performed songs like “A Christmas Festival” by Leroy Andreson, “Themes from the Nutcracker Suite” by Tchaikovsky, and “Sleigh Ride” by Leroy Anderson. The choir performed songs Christmas related, Middle school singing both  songs like “Mozart Fa La La,” “Don’t Worry Be Happy/Walking in a Winter Wonderland.” The high school choir also sang songs such as “Wait A Minute Mr. Postman.” 

Not many people have the same relationship as the Barnhills do, but working together allowing there student to do all that they enjoy in both extracurricular activities, band and choir have created better relationships with their students.