Twenty-First Century Grant Brings New After-School Enrichment’s to BCHS

Attention all high school students! This year, though the Twenty-First Century Grant, BCHS will be hosting a variety of new after school activities and clubs for students of all calibers to enjoy. All new clubs are free and any high school student is welcome to attend. 

With activities ranging from computer sciences to ukulele playing and cooking, students are bound to find something that interests them through these new clubs. Rita Payne, the middle and high school Twenty-First Century program director, explained that these new clubs are all aiming to provide students with more opportunities for learning than what is provided in the classroom: “Our day is not defined by a time frame.  Learning and opportunities to learn don’t stop at 3:10 every day.” Payne said, “The opportunities and access that I provide is an extension of the school day. We support, encourage, mentor, and build skills that will help us become productive members of society.” 

While some programs, like Esports and ukulele, are not curriculum-based, many programs can be brought directly back into the classroom. Computer science discovery, run by math teacher Terresa Uzzle, goes so far as to meet educational standards set by the Kentucky Department of Education for an Advanced Placement computer science course. Payne hopes that by offering this as a club, BCHS will someday be able to incorporate it as a class. The Twenty-First Century Grant is also providing other STEM clubs like PC Construct and Robotics. Clubs like these provide interested students with more specific and directed opportunities than what they would find in the classroom. 

However, these activities are not just limited to the school building. The Twenty-First Century Grant has teamed up with a community art project, led by AmeriCorps professor, Julie Struck, and Berea’s own high school senior Lola Cox, called “The Hold Up Hold On Project”. The project is based on an installation mural and is focused on empowering girls and raising mental health awareness. More information and opportunities to get involved will be announced later in the year.

Aside from “The Hold Up Hold On Project,” there are many other ways the Twenty-First Century Grant helps students in ways other than extracurriculars. They offer homework help, peer tutoring, and more for all students. Payne explained, “[We helped students] pass classes they were failing, we increase[d] ACT scores, helped them with college applications, job applications, [and the] FAFSA.”

If you want to get involved with any Twenty-First Century after school programs, all you need to do is to show up! All programs are free of charge, with no exceptions, and transportation is provided every day at the end of daily programming at 5:30. For more information, please contact Twenty-First Century director Rita Payne.