Filed under News

Prom celebrated with “Vintage Hollywood” theme

On Saturday, April 20, Berea Community High School hosted its annual Prom. This year, the theme was “Vintage Hollywood” and the event took place at Churchill Weavers in Berea from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

It was a lovely evening for all in attendance, thanks to BCHS’s junior class who helped plan and decorate the event along with some of their faculty sponsors, including high school history teacher Jennifer Welch. Mrs. Welch, who has sponsored the Prom since she has taught at Berea—for the past four years—said that this year she, “wanted to make sure the seniors had the best Prom ever and it’s Mrs. Lovell’s last year [as principal] so I wanted to make sure she went out with a bang.” That is why Mrs. Welch and the junior class chose Churchill Weavers as the location. She commented, “The location was probably the best this year. It was the prettiest and the easiest.” She concluded that the beautiful venue, primed for events such as Prom, made decorating a low-stress and drama-free zone.

Before entering the dance, students stepped onto a red carpet and were interviewed by high school teachers Travis Blankenship and Christopher Preece. Some were asked about where they had purchased their outfits for the evening, where they had gone to dinner, or who their predictions for King and Queen were.

Prior to the Prom, 12 seniors, 6 boys and 6 girls, were nominated for Prom King and Queen. These students were Colton Cochran, Dylan Hanney, Alex Hartman, Baylor Hill, Trey Jackson, Ryan Whitt, Alyssa Carter, Kennedy Goins, Sylvia Johnson, Tristan Johnson, Emma Lewis, and Adelle Reyes. The court was announced at the dance at midnight. Second Runners-Up were Colton Cochran and Adelle Reyes, First Runners-Up were Trey Jackson and Kennedy Goins, and finally, Dylan Hanney and Alyssa Carter were named Prom King and Queen.

Carter commented that being crowned Queen, “feels really good. It’s great being a part of a small school and celebrating events like this… I’m glad I got to win with one of my good friends, and to be with the rest of the candidates.” Hanney said of being King, “It feels awesome! Being a Homecoming candidate for both [the Fall and Winter] and not even winning Runner-Up in any of them kind of sucked. To be able to win King when it all mattered and for the biggest dance just felt so amazing… It’s going to be a memory for me always.”