Pirate softball begins win streak

On April 15, the Berea Community High School softball team competed at Williamsburg and came home with a 19-6 win. The team bounced back after suffering a tough loss in the semifinals of the 11th Region All “A” Classic a few days prior.

The Lady Pirates had only six hits throughout the game and took advantage of Williamsburg’s errors and eight walks. Berea scored four times each in the third and fifth innings, before scoring even more in the sixth.

Freshman Mackenzie Howell scored four times, freshman Madison Howell scored three times, sophomore Deidra Caudill scored twice, junior Malyah Penn scored twice, senior Alyssa Carter scored three times, sophomore Emily Maynard scored a run, and freshman Morgan Short scored twice.

The Lady Pirates’ success did not stop there. On April 17, they competed against Lincoln County in a home game and won 10-9.

The entire game was tense, as the Patriots stayed neck and neck with the Pirates. Hailey Woods commented on the game, “We didn’t give up. We fought. We just worked together tonight better than what we have been.” By the seventh inning the Pirates rallied together and kept control for the rest of the night, resulting in a win.

Senior Alyssa Carter led the Lady Pirates at the plate. She doubled twice and was 4-for-5 with three runs. Sophomore Taelor Alexander doubled twice and was 3-for-5 with three runs. Freshman Madison Howell was 2-for-3 with two runs, two walks and two stolen bases. Sophomore Katelyn Ballard was 2-for-3 with a walk. Freshman Mackenzie Howell had a hit, a run, and a walk. Senior Hailey Woods was 1-for-3 with two RBI and a walk. Junior Malyah Penn had a hit, a run, and a walk. Sophomore Deidra Caudill had a hit and walked twice.

About Berea’s season so far, Alyssa Carter said, “The beginning was kinda rough because we had a bunch of new players and a different lineup… so we had to adjust a lot which was hard. We couldn’t practice as much because of the weather outside so we were in the gym, that really isn’t the same.” Despite their losses, Carter is hopeful for the rest of the season. “We’re starting to get together and win a lot of games,” she said. “This is probably one of the best years with my teammates, we’re getting really close especially since it’s my senior year, it’s great.”

If you would like to support the Lady Pirates, come out on May 2 at Berea Parks and Recreation to watch them take on Garrard County at 6 PM.