Filed under News

Science Olympiad participates in regional competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Berea Community School Science Olympiad team.

On Saturday, March 2, members of Berea Community Middle and High School’s Science Olympiad team competed at the regional competition.

Science Olympiad is a competition for middle and high schoolers that assesses their knowledge in reaching a goal in a science, technology, engineering or math area. Some of the competitions are tests, while others require designing a project to bring in. Freshman participant, Chris Davis, explained, “Construction type projects [require] a team to build something specifically for that competition… Impromptu design requires a team to work together to build something similar to normal construction, but with the explanation of what is being built only being revealed upon the start of its competition.”

BCHS achieved success at the competition, where several students placed in their category: Eli Deaver and Bidhu Sharma placed first in Circuit Lab; Ainsley White and Emily Woods placed third in Meteorology and first place in Heredity; Hayden Horn and Ainsley White placed first in Dynamic Planet; Emily Woods placed third in Anatomy and Physiology; Emily Fredrickson and Makensie Price placed third in Write It Do It; and Bidhu Sharma and Emily Fredrickson placed third in Herpetology. Fredrickson had fun at the event, explaining, “Science Olympiad is always a great experience because it encourages my inner science nerd.”

Despite multiple students placing, the Science Olympiad team did not qualify to advance to the state competition at the University of Kentucky later this year. The division changed since last year and increased in difficulty, plus multiple new members joined the team. One new member, freshman Lydia Peach, explained, “I wanted to compete in Science Olympiad because it seemed cool… I think I could have done better in my events, for sure…Overall I had a lot of fun and will definitely do it again next year.”

With this optimism, the Science Olympiad team looks forward to a new season next year.