Filed under Features

BCES Literacy Week promotes reading

During the first week of March, Berea Community Elementary School hosted a Literacy Week for kindergarten through fifth grade students. Throughout the week, students were encouraged to dress up with themed days, participate in events during the school day, and come to an evening event to present their work to their families.

The elementary reading and English teachers joined up with the Gear Up and Full Service grant teams to make the week perfect. Teachers worked with students on literacy projects to present to their parents at the evening event on Thursday March 8, 2019. Literacy Night also hosted a Scholastic Book Fair, a book swap, a photo booth, and a DIY parfait station. In total, 314 parents and students came to the event, and even with the NTI days in play, the book fair did very well. Students also had a wonderful time. Third grader Opal Bailey said, “I loved Literacy Night because me and my sister got to show our parents our stuff and we got parfaits, which is fancy yogurt!”

Guest speakers also came in during the week to promote reading to the students. Students were very excited about “Tell Me a Story!”, an assembly for the whole school lead by writer Dane Hosler. Fifth grade volunteers were given the chance to help out in the assembly.  

Ashley Hammond, the elementary Gear Up representative said, “The purpose of literacy week is to encourage reading of ALL texts, and encourage and further educate our families about the importance of reading… Do not underestimate the power and value of reading to your children.”

Hammond is very proud of all the students and can’t wait for next year’s Literacy Week. She deeply encourages this event to be a starting point for parents to get their children reading. “Adapt to what your children like, encourage different books, go to our local library, take 10 minutes every day to have quiet reading time,” she urged. “If your older children are too ‘cool’ to be read to, ask them to read to you or a younger sibling or the family pet. Ask your child what their favorite book is and why. Share your favorite book/character. Can you tell I am passionate about reading?” Overall, Literacy Week was a success in instilling a greater love for reading in students and bringing families closer to our school. Watch out for an announcement next year for yet another wonderful Literacy Week!