Gatton Academy accepts BCHS sophomore for class of 2021

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Coleman Reed.

Sophomore Coleman Reed.

Photo by Noah Prentice

Sophomore Coleman Reed.

Photo by Noah Prentice

Photo by Noah Prentice

Sophomore Coleman Reed.

The Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science, also known as The Gatton Academy, recently accepted sophomore Coleman Reed for his junior and senior year, thus welcoming him to the class of 2021.

The Gatton Academy is a residential high school organization hosted by Western Kentucky University in which approximately 95 sophomores from Kentucky are admitted each year to attend the academy for their junior and senior years. The students take classes that WKU offers for Dual-Credit, and are required to take 3-4 math courses, 5 science courses, 2 english courses, 3 seminar courses, and 3-4 STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) electives over the course of two years, but are able to take more if desired.

Additionally, there are many opportunities available to students for off-campus learning. Along with several opportunities for research (such as abroad in Costa Rica) there is also an opportunity available to Gatton students who need to take an English 200 course. During the winter term, the students can choose to go to England to complete the course, which allows them to inhabit and explore the places that their literature discusses for several weeks. Another program allows students who are taking STEM+ critical language courses (courses for foreign languages that require more speakers in STEM professions) to go to regions in the world where those languages are spoken. Coleman Reed, who was accepted in early March, is looking forward these extracurricular and off-campus opportunities: “My favorite aspects of the program would have to be the freedom associated with it and the research opportunities available and the language programs available.”

Despite his excitement, however, Reed is also nervous about the massive life change he’s about to go through: “Leaving my family and friends and stuff is going to be weird. I mean I feel like I’ll get used to it, but leaving is gonna be pretty sad… But it’s just change. I’ll get used to it.” The Gatton Academy requires that the high school students leave their dorm for one weekend every four weeks to make the transition easier and allow them to stay connected to their homes, but that doesn’t take much away from the large amount of time the students will spend away from home. “My parents are very conflicted about it,” Reed said. “They want me to go and have the opportunity but they don’t want me to leave.”

The Pirate community, along with the Reed family, is excited and nervous about Coleman’s acceptance, and hopes that his transition and experience go smoothly. We congratulate Coleman for his acceptance to The Gatton Academy and wish him good luck in all his future endeavors!