Local band performs at Project Grad event

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bass player MacGregor Lakes performs with Turning Age Rock
Band at the New Year’s Bash.

Bass player MacGregor Lakes performs with Turning Age Rock Band at the New Year’s Bash.

Photo by Noah Prentice

Photo by Noah Prentice

Photo by Noah Prentice

By Constance Wright and Faith Johnson

On January 5, Berea Community High School’s Project Graduation hosted a New Year’s Bash. The event happened from 9-11 pm and featured local high school band Turning Age. The night consisted of live music, dancing, and food.

All the proceeds from the event went towards BCHS Project Graduation, which is a program run by parents in the community to raise money for senior students and offer them various resources for college. The ticket money from the New Year’s Eve Bash as well as the money from concessions sold during the event all contributed towards the project.

During the entire event, Turning Age Rock Band played live music for students to dance and sing along to. Members of the band are keyboardist Emily Nigro, bass player MacGregor Lakes, drummer Ryan Whitt, synthesizer player and co-lead vocalist Constance Wright, lead guitarists Alex Mondine and William Perkins, and co-lead singer Lydia North. Nigro, Lakes, Whitt, and Wright are all seniors at Berea Community; Mondine graduated from BCHS last year.

At the event, the band covered songs from a variety of genres and eras of music and also performed one of their originals. Crowd favorites included: Mr. Brightside, Havana, Crazy Train, Any Way You Want It, and Redbone.  

One student that attended the event is senior Sylvia Johnson. She commented on her experience, “It was fun; I enjoyed dancing my heart out and listening to my friends perform live music. It was an experience I will never forget!” Drummer Ryan Whitt also enjoyed the event and explained what it meant to him: “After all these years performing as Turning Age, I’m glad that we were able to bring our music to the high school. I was able to share something that I love with people that I love to an audience, which will always remain as one of my primary pursuits. I’m glad that I was able to spend more time sharing my passions with others.”

Overall, many students and parents enjoyed the New Year’s Eve Bash and helped raise money for Project Graduation. Keep an eye out for future Project Graduation events, which support your local Pirate seniors!