Filed under News

Beta Club attends state convention

Back to Article
Back to Article

Beta Club attends state convention

Senior Hailey Woods' winning photograph.

On January 13 and 14, Berea Community’s Senior Beta Club members attended the Kentucky State Beta Convention in Louisville. Eighteen students from grades 10 through 12 participated in a variety of competitions, ranging from academic tests to visual and performing arts.

Many of the Beta Club members formed groups to compete in the convention together. One group of students competed in Group Talent; it consisted of Emily Nigro, Emy Lovell, Constance Wright, and Ryan Whitt. The group formed a band and covered “He Won’t Go” by Adele. Julia Kilgore and Jatzel Correa competed in the Solo, Duo, Trio Talent; Jatzel played piano while Julia performed a dance routine. Another competition was to design a Rube Goldberg machine, and students Isaac Uzzle, Thomas Brock, Andrea Ramos, and Emily Fredrickson participated in the event together.

Students could also choose to enter into individual events like academic testing or artwork. Many of the competitions are split into two divisions: Division 1, consisting of freshman and sophomore competitors, and Division 2, consisting of junior and senior competitors.

Braedyn Johnson competed in Division 1 Social Studies, while Thomas Brock competed in Division 2 Social Studies. Andrea Ramos participated in Division 1 Creative Writing. Cassie Poston entered into Division 2 Mixed Media.

Berea students, in addition to participating in events, also found success at the convention. Senior Hailey Woods placed first in Division 2 Photography; Jatzel Correa, a sophomore, placed second in Division 1 Spanish; and sophomore Coleman Reed placed third in Division 1 Math.

The two day trip allowed students to compete in areas that interest them while also providing an enjoyable experience with friends. “I like going to the Beta Convention because it gives me and my club members time to express our interests through the the competitions we enter and we also get to have fun while under our school’s name,” commented Woods, who is president of Berea’s Senior Beta Club.

The Kentucky Beta Convention occurs annually and Berea Community plans to continue competing for many years to come.