Filed under Sports

Berea vs. Southern

Back to Article
Back to Article

Berea vs. Southern

Senior Dylan Hanney dribbles past a defender.

Photo by Constance Wright

Photo by Constance Wright

Photo by Constance Wright

On Friday, January 11, the Berea Community Pirates faced off against the Madison Southern Eagles in a tough double-header.

School spirit was high at the game, with a packed student section for both teams. Berea fans were eager to see the girls compete. Many Southern fans attended their home game as well, so the tension was high between the fans, with each side retaliating at the other with chants.

At halftime of the girls game, the score was 25-14. The Pirates fought to bring the score closer in the second half, but eventually lost a hard-fought game against Southern with a final score of 59-44. Freshman starter Mati Stepp explained, “We could have played better. The biggest thing that brought us down [was]… there was so much pressure on our shoulders and we could never settle down and play our game.”

Berea’s student section had high hopes for the boys game after the girls’ defeat. Berea’s team scored first, but by the end of the first quarter the Eagles established a four point lead over Berea, and by halftime the score was 35-19 Southern. The Pirates fell short to the Eagles with the final score 71-57, a decisive Southern win.

Senior captain Zane Brown, however, was still pleased with the Pirates’ overall performance. Brown explained that the team has “come a long way. Early [in] this season we weren’t certain if we’d do what we needed to to win, but now we are where we should be and we have become a much better team because of it.”

The next home game for both the girls and the boys is on Friday, February 1. This game is the homecoming game; the girls play at 6 and will be followed by the boys at 7:30.