Filed under News

Pirate academic team finds success at Districts

On Saturday, January 26, Berea Community High School’s academic team hosted the  Governor’s Cup Districts and won 2nd place overall. Members of the team will advance to Region 12 Governor’s Cup Competition at Model Lab in February.

During the course of the day, many students from surrounding schools competed by taking specific subject tests as well as participating in a quick recall tournament. Many BCHS students placed and will advance on to compete at Regionals: MacGregor Lakes placed 1st in Social Studies, Coleman Reed placed 2nd in Math and tied 3rd for Science, Eli Deaver tied for 3rd in Science, Julia Kilgore placed 4th in Math, and Jacob Mahurin received 2nd place for Written Composition.

The week of the meet, on Tuesday, January 22, the BCHS Future Problem Solving (FPS) Team also competed at Districts and received 1st place. The students on the FPS team include seniors Cora Livingston, Jacob Mahurin, Emily Nigro and Tori Williams.

Travis Blankenship, one of the academic team coaches, expressed his hopes for the team in the upcoming regional and state competitions: “While we are disappointed that our quick recall team did not advance to region, we are still very excited to have our FPS team make it to regions for the third time in four years. They have a very good shot at making it to state…I see a lot of potential in our students moving on.”

Many organizations and people helped orchestrate Districts, and the BCHS academic team would like to thank the following: Hole and Corner Donuts for proving donuts for the hospitality room; Charle Samarin, Jennifer Welch, Leah Graham and Lori McCay for classroom space; Head Scorer—Holly Hatfield, Chief Official—Dave Metzger of Central, other Officials including Bari Clements (Central), Candace Moberley (Southern), Christy Pryor (Southern), Laura Dedic (Model), and Tyger Williams (Berea) for assisting with the officiating side. The Berea Community Pirates are very appreciative of the support they received to organize the 45th District Governor’s Cup Academic Team Competition.

Regionals for academic team is scheduled for February 16.