Basketball teams fight in Homecoming doubleheader

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman Mati Stepp takes on Breathitt County defender in the Homecoming game.

Photo by Cora Livingston

Photo by Cora Livingston

Photo by Cora Livingston

By Cora Livingston and Tori Williams

On Friday, February 1, Berea Community High School hosted a doubleheader for 2019 Spring Homecoming. The girls basketball team played Breathitt County at 6:00 PM and the boys played Saint Patrick School at 7:30 PM. This was also Senior Night for the Lady Pirates.

The girls fell to Breathitt County with a score of 45-50, although the teams stayed relatively close in terms of points for much of the game. Senior Adrienne Beggs attributes this loss to distractions caused by Homecoming and Senior Night. She commented, “We should have won that game, we were definitely the better team, we just didn’t do what we had to.” Adrienne is the only senior on the girls team this season. She was honored in a ceremony prior to the game. About Senior Night, she said, “It felt very…nostalgic because I just didn’t think about it ending. I thought about all the past [things the team has done] and what we had been through in all the time I’ve been on the team.” Adrienne has been on the team since she was in seventh grade and has been a regularly starting varsity player since halfway through the season of her eighth grade year.

Photo by Tori Williams
Girls basketball coach Dammian Stepp (L) and mother Janet Meyer (R) accompany Adrienne Beggs as she is honored at Senior Night.

The theme for this Homecoming was Beach Party and much of the student section was decked out in their best “tacky tourist” attire. As is typical of Berea, the large crowd cheered loud and proud for their Pirates.

The boys defeated Saint Patrick School with the score 64-30. This was a very successful game for them. The Pirates began with a 17-0 streak, and had ten players score throughout the game. Senior Triston Duckworth commented that they had, “Taken care of business against Saint Patrick.” An advantage that contributed to the Pirate victory was that “[Saint Patrick was] a very young team,” according to Duckworth.

The game was the final home game for the Lady Pirates this season, but they have three more away games before they compete at Districts. The boys’ next home game is Thursday, February 7, against Estill County.

Photo by Cora Livingston
Senior Dylan Hanney.

Photo by Cora Livingston
Freshman Alexis Newman.