Filed under Sports

Pirate basketball teams fall to Southern at Districts

On Monday, February 18, the Berea Community High School boys and girls basketball teams competed in the first round of the 44th District Tournament at Eastern Kentucky University’s McBrayer Arena. Both teams played against Madison Southern High School.

The Lady Pirates played first, at 6:00 PM. The girls fought hard, but ended with a loss with the score of 48-30 Southern. While the Lady Pirates were able to contain the Lady Eagles defense-wise, keeping their score under 50, Berea had issues putting up and making enough shots to keep up with Southern. Sophomore starter Melisa Sencer stated that going into the game, the team felt confident, but “overall we didn’t have the best shooting night and we needed to make more of our free throws and just execute our plays to get better shots.”

The boys played next. It was a rough game, with 57 total fouls. This just goes to show that the Pirates would not go down without a fight. The boys did fall to the Eagles with the final score of 64-50. Despite the roughness and the loss, the Pirates managed to hold their own, especially considering their high number of injured and ill players who still competed. This includes senior starter Triston Duckworth who played with a fractured ankle. Duckworth commented, “Our team wasn’t very healthy [but] I think we wanted it more than Southern.”

These were the final games of the 2018-19 season for the BCHS basketball teams. Senior guard Dylan Hanney reminisced on his final game and season: “I’m going to miss the part where I’m never going to put on another Berea jersey and play organized basketball again. Those players are just like family and so is Coach [Swords].” Sophomore Jaylen Dorsey, the only boys starter who will return next season, said, “I’m [going to] miss playing with this senior class. [T]hey taught me a lot and they definitely deserve our respect.” On the other hand, Sencer said of her team, “Everyone will be back next season and we will have another shot at everything we did this season.”