Filed under News

BCES academic team attends Districts

The Berea Community Elementary Academic Team found both optimism and success when they attended their district competition on Friday, February 8.

Academic Team is comprised of several different competitions. One of these competitions is Quick Recall, in which a series of questions are asked and the students have limited time to answer. The other group activity is Future Problem Solving, in which a group of four students must propose a solution to a difficult situation. The individual events include multiple-choice tests from a variety of subjects (including Math, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, and Arts & Humanities) along with written composition tests.

At the district competition on Friday, February 8, the BCES team found mixed results, including several successes and several learning experiences. There were six placements in the multiple-choice tests: fourth grader Ainsley Woodward placed second in Language Arts and first in Arts & Humanities, fifth grader Javen Randell placed third in science, fifth grader Taven Radar placed third in Language Arts, fifth grader Iris Bailey placed second in Arts & Humanities, and fifth grader Felix Reyes placed fourth in Arts & Humanities. The Quick Recall team also put up a great fight in the two matches that they played. BCES Academic Team Coach and fourth grade Math and Science teacher Sarah Short commented on the team’s performance at the district competition, saying, “Our first match was a really close match the whole way… both teams were getting points back and forth, and so they got really discouraged after they lost the match, but I helped them push through and made sure the focus was on their effort and the fact that they tried their best.”

It is Ms. Sarah Short’s first year as the Elementary Academic Team Coach. She described how her relationship has changed with the students that she both teaches in class and coaches on the team: “They feel more comfortable coming to me on issues outside of school, and even in school they feel more comfortable asking questions… really it’s just a more personal relationship, with a 1:1 connection instead of 1:25.”

Coach Short is optimistic for the future of the BCES Academic Team and is currently celebrating the successes seen after her first year coaching the team. She hopes to push the students further into the knowledge and past the content that is taught in class. The one thing she wants to tell her students is, “Set high expectations for yourself and do whatever you can to go after them.”