Academic team competes at Regionals

On Saturday, February 16, members of the Berea High School academic team attended the regional Governor’s Cup competition. The qualifiers consisted of freshman Eli Deaver, sophomores Coleman Reed and Julia Kilgore, seniors MacGregor Lakes and Jacob Mahurin, and the Future Problem Solving team.

The competition was held at Model Laboratory High School in Richmond. Students who placed in the top five for written assessments at district competition advanced to region; from Berea, those students were freshman Eli Deaver, sophomores Julia Kilgore and Coleman Reed, and senior MacGregor Lakes. Deaver took the science test, Lakes took the Social Studies test, and Kilgore and Reed both took the math test. About competing at regionals, Kilgore commented, “There were probably 20 people taking math. The test was a little bit harder [than districts] but there was still a bunch of stuff I didn’t know.”

Due to Coleman Reed’s second place finish in the math test, he will advance to state competition in March. The statewide competition takes the best students from regional competitions.

In addition to written subject tests, senior Jacob Mahurin competed in the written composition assessment after placing second in district competition.

Berea’s Future Problem Solving team, consisting of seniors Emily Nigro, Tori Williams, Cora Livingston, and Jacob Mahurin, also attended the regional competition. The Future Problem Solving team placed third and will not be advancing to the state competition. Despite the loss, Mahurin explained, “I felt like the team worked really well together, and everyone stayed calm so it was really enjoyable… I’m glad I got to spend my last year with the Berea team.”

The academic team coaches and members are proud of those who competed at region, and are hopeful for Reed’s journey to state. The state competition will take place at the Galt House Hotel in Louisville on March 16-18.