Filed under Features, Showcase

Night With the Arts showcases student talent

On December 11, Berea Community Middle and High school held their annual Night With the Arts. The event consisted of a choir and band concert, as well as an art show.

Berea’s choir started off the night; the first group to perform was the sixth grade choir class. The sixth grade sang Colors of Winter, I Heard a Bird Sing, Shenandoah, and Blizzard on the Way. The second choir consisted of the seventh grade, and they performed Hashivenu, Christmas Remembered, and When Christmas Comes to Town, with solos from Sophie Brewer and Jessica Pettry. The eighth grade choir sang Silver Bells, Snow, and was joined by the high school choir to sing Carol of the Bells.

Then, the high school choir showcased Jubilate Deo; Build Me Up Buttercup; Bring Me Little Water, Silvy; and The Snow Begins to Fall. They ended their concert with Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), with a solo from Emy Lovell and Greyson Thomason. Finally a seminar choir, composed of grades sixth through twelve, preformed My Heart’s in the Highlands, We Need a Little Christmas, and Doo-Wop Christmas, with a solo from Noah Prentice.

Berea Community’s band performed during the second half of the night. The sixth grade band presented 12 songs: Go Tell Aunt Rhodie, Au Claire de la Lune, Rolling Along, A Mozart Melody, Ode to Joy, Doodle All Day, Jingle Bells, My Dreydl, Split Decision, Hard Rock Blues, Up on a Housetop, and Jolly Old St. Nick. Then, the combined seventh and eighth grade band performed Celebrate the Season: Fanfare on “Joy To the World”, Santa’s Toy Shop, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and Jingle Bell Rock.

Finally, the high school band, accompanied by some eighth graders, finished out the Night With the Arts. They played the songs Santa’s Big Adventure, A Christmas Bell Carol, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and Sleigh Ride.

Night With the Arts was topped off by an art show; students from sixth grade to twelfth grade presented art. The middle school classes chose their favorite bellringer to display, while the high schoolers showed off some of their past projects. The art show, as well as the band and choir concerts, gave Berea students a chance to present their hard work and talents to the community.

Berea Community will host another Night with the Arts in spring 2019.