Project Grad hosts Spaghetti Dinner

Back to Article
Back to Article

Project Grad hosts Spaghetti Dinner

Parent volunteers serve spaghetti to raise money for Project Graduation.

Photo by Cora Livingston

Photo by Cora Livingston

Photo by Cora Livingston

On Tuesday, December 11, members of the senior class and their parents hosted a spaghetti dinner to fundraise for Project Graduation and to cater for Night With the Arts.

The event consisted of an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner for $5 per person, a bake sale, and a silent auction full of items donated by businesses in Berea and Richmond. The parents of the senior class made the spaghetti and the sauce while Olive Garden, Fazoli’s, and Bobtown donated the rest of the food, including breadsticks and bake sale items. The dinner was a great opportunity for parents and students to grab a bite to eat between concerts, as well as support their senior class.

According to organizer Rita Payne, the event was a huge success: “The Project Grad. committee started meeting in October and it really paid off. We had around 160 people come and raised $1,300.”  

During the spaghetti dinner, there was also a silent auction for students and parents. Several local businesses donated to the auction, including larger establishments such as Starbucks and Galaxy Bowling, and smaller local businesses, such as The White Stitch, The Fireside Gallery, Berea Coffee and Tea, and more.

Berea Community High School has hosted a Project Graduation for many years, and it has proven to be a great success. Project Graduation offers a fun post-graduation party for seniors and their guests, where the graduates have the opportunity to win money, scholarships, and dorm items. The goal of the party is to keep seniors safe after their graduation and away from student-run events with drugs and alcohol, but still offer a fun environment. Students involved fundraise all year by selling chocolate and hosting events like the spaghetti dinner.

All the proceeds from the spaghetti dinner on Tuesday night will go towards the big end of the year event for seniors and scholarships for college-bound seniors. Project Graduation will continue to fundraise for the rest of the school year, so keep a look out for events coming up in order to support the graduating class of 2019.