Filed under Sports

Lady Pirates extend winning streak

On December 10, the Berea High School girls basketball team scored a valiant victory over Williamsburg High School. It was a well fought game, ending with a score of 54-45. This is one mark of a great season so far for the Lady Pirates, who now have a 9-1 record and a seven-game winning streak.

The game began with a rough stalemate, the first half ending in only a one point lead on Berea’s end with a 23-22 score. BCHS freshman Mati Stepp commented on the struggle, “As a team I think we all did really well, we played for each other and didn’t let the fact that they are an extremely talented team get to us. At half time I think there was a bit of nervousness shared by everyone because of how close we had let the game get.”

After struggling through the first half the Lady Pirates were able to break through, which Stepp was quite proud of. “I actually am glad that we overcame Williamsburg rather than staying ahead, I feel like whenever we are put on the spot like that and we have to put forth a lot of effort, my team plays the best.”

Stepp scored 9 points in the game, joined by teammates Adrienne Beggs (senior) who scored 20 points, Madison Howell (freshman) who scored 10 points, Chesney Lovins (eighth grader) who scored 9 points, and Melissa Gosney (sophomore) who scored 6 points. The Lady Pirates have since extended their winning streak to seven games, most recently defeating the Madison Central Lady Indians 57-53 in a game on Monday. Their next game will be home against Pendleton County on December 22.