Food Drive is a success

During the weeks of November 1-20, the Berea High School Student Council hosted its annual fall food drive. Middle and high school first period classes brought in non-perishable food items, competing to bring in the most food and win a special donut breakfast provided by the Student Council. The breakfast was aimed to be an incentive for students to bring in cans.

The collected food was donated to the Berea Food Bank, which among other projects,  provides food to families in need of a holiday meal; Berea’s food drive was launched with Thanksgiving in mind. The fall food drive has been an annual tradition for over 20 years, and this year’s Student Council President-Elect, Thomas Brock, was once one of the students who benefitted from the food drive, receiving cans from the food bank.

“Knowing that I can give back to the community for all the help they gave me makes me happy,” Brock said. “Service should never be a competition, but we felt as tho[ugh] a little friendly competition would provide the classes with a little more incentive to bring in more food, and donate as much as possible to a good cause.”

The winning class was Mrs. West’s seventh grade class. A student in the class, seventh grader Rebekah Webb, explained why she wanted her class to win: “We heard Mr. Miller telling his class if each student brought in some, he would give them a prize, so Mrs. West said we would try to bring in the most [because the food drive] is for a good cause.”

This year’s food drive was a success, with around 400 pounds of food brought in.