Berea Community hosts revamped “Rethink Your Ride”

This past Friday, November 2, Berea Community High School hosted Rethink Your Ride, a program put together by Eastern Kentucky University nursing students to teach the dangers of impaired driving. Rethink Your Ride has been a popular program at BCHS in the past, but this year’s nursing students changed the program to make it even better. At 9 AM, the high school students were called out to the front of the school for a live demonstration, complete with real crashed cars, first responders, and even a helicopter. The program concluded with a presentation on seatbelt safety and a speech from the program founder, Sharonda Roes.

According to junior Fiona Asher, “I thought the demonstration was very realistic, I felt like we really could be at a crash site. I learned to drive safe and drive sober.”

The program was renovated by Dr. Sharonda Roes, a professor at EKU. Her students saw a video about a similar program and approached her about instructing one like it for their Clinicals. “It’s a project that we have implemented to teach and inform the consequences of impaired driving,” EKU nursing student Alexis Little said. “We hope students leave here knowing to put their phones down and drive sober.” Fellow nursing student Makayla Ravenscraft added, “I hope students understand that a bad decision they make doesn’t just affect them. It can change other people’s lives for the worse.”

BCHS and the nursing students of EKU want to thank the Madison County Health Department, Berea police, Madison County EMS, Berea firefighters, and the Madison County Coroner’s Office for all their help in educating our youth. Rethink Your Ride was a successful program this year and BCHS hopes to continue to host it in the future.