Filed under Sports

Cross Country Regionals

On Saturday, October 27, the Berea Community High School cross country team participated in the 2018 Class 1A Region 5 Cross Country Championship hosted by Danville High School at Admiral Stadium.

In the first event, Varsity Boys 5K run, junior Noah Prentice finished his race 29th out of 75 participants. His run time was a personal record of 19:58.22. Junior Brendan Thomason, senior Cooper White, and junior Julian Clavere also participated in this event, with times of 21:05.21, 23:02.85, and 24:28.94, respectively.

In the next event, Varsity Girls 5K run, senior Hailey Woods had a time of 25:48.22, sophomore Hannah Davis had a time of 26:51.84, freshman Jillian Whitt had a time of 30:08.57, freshman Ella Thomason had a time of 30:37.20, and freshman Siddharthini Wilton had a time of 30:51.71.

The Boys Cross Country team only had four participants at regionals, which is not enough for a full regional team of five runners. For this reason, they did not have an overall rank. The Girls team ranked 11th place overall with a total score of 289. BCHS will not be participating at the state level this season.

Junior Noah Prentice felt that this season was successful, in terms of both the cross country team as a whole and himself individually. “I got under 20:00 for my 5k, which is what I’ve ultimately wanted for the past season,” Prentice said. “The team has also done really well, with a lot of new players and a lot of improvement throughout the entire team despite a lot of injuries.” Looking to next year, he expressed hope that team members will achieve their personal goals. “We have a lot of new players this season, so chances are if they all are able to achieve their personal goals and improve from this season, they’ll be able to do well as a team in the next few years.”

With the goal of performing even better next season, the BCHS cross country team will be back in the Fall of 2019.