Berea football falls to Paris in Homecoming game

On September 21, the Berea Community Football Team played their 2018 Homecoming game against Paris, at the Guy Duerson Stadium. The Pirates (0-5) lost to Paris (2-3) by a score of 51-8, but the Pirates are looking forward to the rest of the season.

During Homecoming week both the staff and students were bursting with school spirit. The events during the week included spirit days, float building, powder puff football, a parade, and concluded with the football game and dance. Senior football player and Homecoming candidate Ben West commented,  “[The Homecoming game] feels different because of all the distractions during the week and practice.”

Prior to the Homecoming game the team and new coaching staff worked and put in time every day. At the game, the team played through the pouring rain and did not give up. Despite the increasing score, the Pirates fought hard and came out with a touchdown and a two point conversion near the end of the game. Jaiden Cunningham, a freshman, completed both.

The coaches and players are optimistic about the rest of the season, and Berea students are excited to support them. Assistant coach, Larry Thacker, explained how “[we] just want to see our guys continue to improve and just keep playing hard.” Ben West added, “We expect to be able to break the losing streak in the next 5 games.” Students want to continue to support the Pirates on and off the field.

If you would like to come out and support your BCHS Pirate football team, their next home game is on October 5, against Clinton County.