Filed under Sports

Pirates are victorious on soccer senior night

On Thursday, September 20, the BCHS girls soccer team had its annual Senior Night. The Pirates played Lincoln County High School, and won 4-3. The first three goals were scored in the first half by Jatzel Correa, Madi Cummins, and Emily Nigro. Cummins also scored the fourth goal in the second half; Emily Nigro and Evi Stefan assisted two goals each.

At halftime, the team honored its senior members: Kennedy Goins, left wing; Hailey Woods, center/left back; Meghan Murray, midfielder; and Emily Nigro, midfielder and holder of the state record for most assists in a single game. The seniors were escorted onto the field by their parents, recognized by their coach, and presented with gifts from their underclassmen teammates. Senior Hailey Woods said of the night, “It felt great, the team really came together and I could tell they really cared about how the night went.” Senior Meghan Murray, who started on the team this season, said, “Senior Night was sad because I only get to play with this team this year, and I wish I had joined sooner.”

The girls all seem grateful for the supportive team atmosphere, and all said that the closeness of their teammates has been their favorite part of the season. Woods explained how “…on this team we’re like a big family.” She hopes that the team will continue to “play hard and work together on and off the field.”

With the seniors leaving, there is always curiosity about how the next season will go. “Losing these four seniors is going to be hard,” commented junior Madi Cummins. “They are a core group of leaders on our team and that will be missed. However, next preseason, I think we will work together on how to improve and fill out those spots.” Overall the Pirates are proud of the BCHS girls soccer team and were sad to to watch the seniors’ last few games of the season. If you would like to come out to support your Lady Pirates, their last home game is at 6pm on Thursday, September 28 against Madison Southern.