Filed under Features, News

Homecoming Parade is a Success

On Thursday, September 20, Berea Community High School celebrated the legacy of Pirate alumni and current students with the annual homecoming parade.

Every year, the Pirate Community plans their fall homecoming with events like themed spirit week, the parade, the football game and the dance. The parade celebrates the school’s sports teams, the band, each class and highlights the Homecoming King and Queen candidates. These senior candidates are sponsored by the seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Paired together, they ride on convertibles. The school sports teams ride on the back of trailers, the band marches and each class proudly shows their themed float that they have worked hard on over the past week.

The parade is always a fond memory for students. Homecoming candidate Abby Ambrose spoke to the relevance of the parade to her: “Growing up at Berea, I always remembered seeing the seniors ride in the parade and represent our school. It was so weird that this year it was our turn. I really enjoyed seeing my classmates dress up for the occasion!” This experience summarizes the Pirate Community well; at a K-12 school, homecoming is a community experience for all ages.

The Berea Community Elementary students of today will soon be organizing and participating in the parade themselves. This is why the homecoming parade is so special: it celebrates Berea Community School’s unique community, and continues traditions that bond the community together.