Filed under Features, News

Butterflies emerge in classrooms across BCS

At the start of the 2018 school year, teachers throughout Berea Community Schools acquired Monarch caterpillars to raise inside their classrooms; this project brought science directly to the students.

The elementary side of Berea Community annually brings caterpillars into several of the classrooms in order to teach kids about life cycles. The elementary has a beautiful garden on school grounds which was planted with milkweed, a food source for the caterpillars. The caterpillars and eggs were then collected from the milkweed and brought inside. Not only did the Kindergarten learn about life cycles, they also did weekly projects about the Monarch Butterfly. Then, once the Monarchs emerged, they were released back outside.

Mrs. Riddle, a Kindergarten teacher, was one of the teachers who housed the caterpillars. She shared, “It is a perfect way to begin the school year. The students warm up to us when they see these little gentle creatures, and they love learning about them.”

This year, the middle and high school side of Berea Community also took on some caterpillars of their own. The caterpillars were not collected for any specific experiment; instead, they are simply there to bring biology into the classroom. Students had the opportunity to see life cycles with their own eyes and learn in an incredible way.

Many of the students in the high school have been going to Berea since kindergarten and were given the opportunity to see the Monarch Butterfly’s life cycle when they were younger. Mr. Woodward, a high school science teacher, was excited to give students another chance to experience and ask questions as high schoolers.

Students of all ages are fascinated by the quickly changing cycle of a Monarch’s life. This project was a great learning tool and an enriching experience for students of Berea Community.