Filed under Features

New local donut shop features “hard to beat” flavors

A selection of treats from Hole & Corner Donuts.

Photo by Constance Wright

Photo by Constance Wright

If you have not heard about it already, there is a new donut shop in town! Created by Noodle Nirvana’s staff, Hole & Corner Donuts is a breakfast place located inside Noodle Nirvana that is only open from 6:30-9:00 am Tuesday through Friday and 6:30-9:30 am on Saturdays. The shop offers a variety of specially made mini cake donuts that are created right in front of your eyes. After weeks of waiting for the restaurant to open, I finally got to taste for myself how good these donuts really are.

When I first walked into the shop the atmosphere was tremendously friendly and cozy. Groggy from waking up earlier than I’m used to, the smiling faces and friendly conversations with others waiting in line really brightened my day. Despite the urge to try all the flavors on the menu, I settled with a variety of six donuts: Maple Bourbon, A Late One, Chocolate Glazed, Raspberry Sprinkle, Fruity Pebbles, and Dark Chocolate Potato Chip.

The first donut flavor that I tried was A Late One. It was extremely sweet and had the right amount of ginger glaze on the top. The ginger wasn’t too strong but was present. It is currently my third favorite donut from Hole & Corner. The next donut I ate was Maple Bourbon. This one did not particularly stand out to me in any way, but I did enjoy the texture of the crumbled graham crackers on the top, mixed with the glaze. It had a richer flavor than the other donuts. A simple Chocolate Glazed donut was the next thing I tried. This donut is as classic as donuts get; it was simple and very tasty.

The fourth one that I tried was Raspberry Sprinkle. This was definitely my favorite flavor out of the six donuts I tried that day. The raspberry comes through a lot in the glaze and the sprinkles on top add a nice layer of texture. It was extremely sweet, but more in a fruity way than sugary. Fruity Pebbles was the fifth donut that I tried. It was topped with a simple glaze and a lot of fruity pebbles. It tasted a lot better than I thought it would, but it was much too sweet for my liking. Lastly, I tried the Dark Chocolate Potato Chip. This was my second favorite donut I tried that day. It had the perfect combination of salty and sweet in just one bite; it’s hard to beat it. The chips add so much more texture and new flavor to the donut that I don’t think anyone could not enjoy it.

Each mini donut from Hole & Corner packs a lot of different flavors and textures into just one bite and it’s amazing how simple and elegant they make it. There are so many more crazy options to try that you should head in yourself to see how good these donuts really are!