• Mar 22, 8:47 amBCHS Prom will be on April 28!

• Mar 22, 8:44 amBerea Community Schools spring break is April 1-8!

• Mar 22, 8:40 amCome see the BCHS production of "Steel Magnolias" on March 29-31!

Berea superintendent Mike Hogg retires after seven years

Mike+Hogg
Mike Hogg

Mike Hogg

Photo by Photo submitted.

Photo by Photo submitted.

Mike Hogg

By Emy Lovell, Pirate Lead Photographer

On December 31, the Pirate family will say farewell to one of its most beloved members. Our superintendent Mike Hogg will be retiring from his position of seven years and will be taking the next step in his life.

Mr. Hogg has been a member of our district for seventeen years. Our community has known him as the Director of Districtwide Services, the principal of Berea Community Elementary, and the current superintendent of Berea Independent Schools. Mr. Hogg has a special place in not only every kid’s heart, but in every adult’s heart, too. His daily presence will be missed, but we all wish him luck for the future.

As a junior in high school, I would have never guessed I would be so fond of being called “kiddo.” If you’ve ever talked to Mike Hogg, or overheard him in almost any conversation, you know just how crazy about the “kiddos” he is. Mr. Hogg has truly worked to serve students and to help them achieve the things they might not have thought were possible. “As educators—whether you’re the teacher, the principal, the superintendent, a custodian, the bus driver—everybody has a role to play. My belief is that it’s my job [as an educator] to try to keep doors open and open doors that may not have been available to some kiddos, or they didn’t think [were]. I think my belief still is, and will be until I take my last breath, that the role of public education is to help kids see what can be instead of, necessarily, what is,” expressed Hogg as he reflected on his passion for education.

Mr. Hogg has known me my entire life, and growing up he has been someone I admire dearly. Having him as an elementary principal not only made school more interesting, but a lot more enjoyable. Never was there a dull moment with Mr. Hogg. Whether we were looking on as he rode his bike away from the school dressed up as some character we thought was funny, sitting in our fourth grade science classrooms watching him magically get an egg inside a water bottle, or just in his presence—where he could make the entirety of the elementary side laugh—everyone always enjoyed being around him.

While Mr. Hogg will be leaving our school, he has a lot of hope for the future that lies in the hands of our new superintendent, Dr. Diane Hatchett. “[I hope for a continued] understanding that academic achievement doesn’t happen in a silo, it’s all these other variables too. It’s being in a culture that supports kids and celebrates them for what they’re doing,” stated Mr. Hogg. “[Academics] don’t exist in a vacuum, they exist with opportunity for kids to demonstrate leadership or the opportunity for kids to participate in things like canned food drives, and disaster relief; raising vegetables [in] raised beds; keeping an eye on our orchard that’s growing out front. Maintaining the balance of what students need and what grown ups need, too, is more than just a simple formula.”

Berea Community will continue to support Mr. Hogg in his retirement. No matter where this next step takes him, he will always be a Pirate. His legacy at Berea Independent Schools can be seen in the work of our teachers, the closeness of our familial community, and the aspirations of his “kiddos.”