• Mar 22, 8:47 amBCHS Prom will be on April 28!

• Mar 22, 8:44 amBerea Community Schools spring break is April 1-8!

• Mar 22, 8:40 amCome see the BCHS production of "Steel Magnolias" on March 29-31!

Berea Community hosts annual band and choir concert

The Berea Community High School choir performs at the winter concert.

Photo by Constance Wright

Photo by Constance Wright

By Constance Wright, Pirate Staff Editor

On December 12, Berea Community Middle and High School held its annual winter choir and band concert. Family and friends gathered at Berea Community for an evening full of singing and music.

The night kicked off with the sixth grade choir performance. They performed We Want to Sing; A Solfege Christmas; One Little Candle with soloists Abby Vanwinkle, Parker Price, and Sophie Brewer; and You’re Welcome with soloist Greyson Thomason.

The seventh grade choir went next, performing Sebben, Crudele; The Ash-Grove; Frozen (Choral Suite); and Dig a Little Deeper.

Eighth grade was the last of the middle school choral performances for the night, performing the songs Da Pacem Domine, And the Night Shall Be Filled With Music, and Man In The Mirror with soloists Markese Hatcher and Haley Capillo. Their last song, Carol of the Bells—a Berea Community Choral tradition—was accompanied by the high school choir.

After the eighth grade and high school collaborative song, a seminar choir class of both middle and high school students performed four songs, including Set Me as a Seal, Winter Wonderland, and Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town. The last song they sang was an a capella cover of White Winter Hymnal by the Fleet Foxes, in the style of Pentatonix, which was accompanied by the high school choir.

The last choir of the night was the high school choir, performing the songs Zuka Zama and Lux Aurumque, with soloist Shyann Brock.

Following the choir concert was the middle and high school band concert. The sixth grade band performed first, showcasing many of their skills by playing their warm-ups, simple nursery rhymes, and Christmas classics. They performed Au Claire De La Lune, A Mozart Melody, Jingle Bells, Up On a Housetop, and Jolly Old St. Nick. Additionally, several musicians were featured: Chloe Campbell (saxophone), Kara Welch (flute), and Katie Eiselt (french horn) played Lightly Row; Landon Justice (saxophone), Samuel Stefan (saxophone), Amir Carver (trumpet) and Caleb Campbell (trumpet) played London Bridge; Jesseca Bowles (keyboard), Dovie Cochran (keyboard), and Grace Cahill (clarinet) played Doodle All Day; Riley Winkler (saxophone) played Skip To My Lou; and Adia Fouch (trumpet) played Oh, Susanna.

Following the sixth graders, the combined seventh and eighth grade band played, performing Instant Christmas Concert and Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree. To show off each grade’s own talent, the seventh graders performed An Austrian Carol and the eighth graders played Ring, Ring, Ring!

The last band to play was the high school band. It performed the songs Christmas Recollections, Themes from The Nutcracker Suite, Selections from The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Sleigh Ride.

Overall, the Berea Community Choir Concert directed by Amanda Barnhill and the Berea Community Band Concert directed by Matthew Barnhill were successful, as many students and parents enjoyed listening to and viewing Pirate talent.