• Mar 22, 8:47 amBCHS Prom will be on April 28!

• Mar 22, 8:44 amBerea Community Schools spring break is April 1-8!

• Mar 22, 8:40 amCome see the BCHS production of "Steel Magnolias" on March 29-31!

Pirate girls basketball falls to Central

Pirate Junior Adrienne Beggs prepares for tip off.

Photo by Constance Wright

Photo by Constance Wright

By MacGregor Lakes, Pirate Staff Reporter

On December 15, 2017, the Berea Community girl’s varsity basketball team competed against Madison Central and was defeated 27 to 66.

Entering the game, the Pirates were optimistic. “Going against any large team is nerve wracking,” said eighth grader Mati Stepp, “but to be honest coming into the game, I was very confident.” Such sympathies were shared by Junior Adrienne Beggs: “I was pretty confident in myself and the team’s ability going into the game, but still a little nervous.”

One of the observable hallmarks of the game was that the Lady Pirates never gave up. They fought until the very end with aggression and perseverance, despite the score. “Our team is extremely aggressive and hard working, and I’m proud of everyone for never giving up,” explained Beggs.

However hard they played, the game still ended in defeat for the Pirates. “I don’t think you can ever be satisfied with a loss,” Stepp said. “I don’t think myself nor my teammates were happy with that game.” She then expressed confidence in the future of the team. “Our team is focused on the next game; we can’t dwell on that game and have to keep moving forward.” Beggs felt the same, saying, “Our next step is to really just move on from that game, but also use it as a learning experience for how we should address anything we need to work on.”

When confronted with the future of the season as a whole, both were very hopeful. “I’m extremely confident that the rest of our season will go really well,” said Beggs. “We’ve been working really hard and I know that’s going to pay off.” Stepp agreed, saying, “As we continue to progress and get more experienced I am very confident with my team and what we will be able to do this season.”

In the face of a hard defeat, the Lady Pirates are ready to move on, using the game more as a learning experience than anything else. They look optimistically to the future and are confident in their abilities in upcoming games. If you want to support the team, come join the Lady Pirates at the Berea Holiday Classic from December 28 through 30.